Support Us

  1. By liking and sharing the Campaign for Safer Births Facebook page you can keep in touch with the campaign and help to build awareness
  2. Please ask your MP to support the Private Members Bill which includes giving Coroners the power to investigate stillborn deaths: ‘Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration Etc.) Bill 2017-19‘ (introduced by Tim Loughton MP).
    Find your MP’s contact details here
    If possible please also copy any correspondence to Dr Phillip Lee MP, the Minister responsible for Coroners law
  3. Please write to the Rt Hon David Gauke MP, Secretary of State for Justice to support our request for a change in the law to allow Coroners to hold Inquests for babies that die during labour (Template letter below if required).
    Address: Rt Hon David Gauke MP, Secretary of State for Justice, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

    Link to Template Letter Secretary of State for Justice
  4. Please write to the Chief Coroner to support our request for Coroners Inquests for babies that die during labour (Template letter below if required).Address: His Honour Judge Mark Lucraft QC, Chief Coroner, 11th Floor Thomas More, Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, WC2A 2LL
    Link to Chief Coroner Template Letter 

  5. You could also write to the people below raising your concerns of the high stillbirth rate in the UK and of poor staffing in maternity services and particularly on labour wards:
    – Rt Hon Matt Hancock MP, Dept of Health at Richmond House, 79 Whitehall, SW1A 2NS or
    – Simon Stevens, Chief Executive, NHS England, Skipton House, 80 London Road, London, SE1 6LH
    – Professor Stephen Powis, National Medical Director, NHS England, Quarry House, Quarry Hill, Leeds, LS2 7UE
    – Your local MP
  6. Check if your local hospital is meeting the recommended hours of Consultant cover on labour ward.
    Recommended levels (by size of unit) are on page 34 of Safer Childbirth.
    Many hospitals are sadly not meeting the minimum recommended level.
    If your local hospital is one of them please contact them to ask why.  You could also contact your local MP or local paper to raise the issue.

  7. You could also contact your local Clinical Commissioning Group (look them up on the internet) to ask what they are doing to ensure your local maternity services are safe and well run

Thank you for your support